Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Faceless Self Portrait

Yes. Here we are. The self portrait is finally beginning to take shape.
My best friend, Helen, couldn't believe that I had a serious mental block about this - she lectured me in no uncertain terms to take a good long look at my Teddlywinks designs, and take it from there.
So I did.
I made a list of everything that is important in my life, then made another list - this time a short-list from the first list, then a list of fabrics and colours (I love lists - they are a great way of remembering to do stuff, and the list can be forgotten until it is read, to remind you of what you need to do next, so your mind does not become cluttered and muddled - did you understand all that?).
Then came the rough sketch which consisted of a 20" square piece of paper covered with cut-outs of all the parts of the design.
This sat on my table and every time I passed, I moved, altered or took away pieces.
The techniques (fancy word for how it was put together) used are much the same as in my quilts. Blanket stitch applique, hand embroidery and a little bit of machine sewing.
It's really a picture about me, not of me.
More to come - it will be chock-a-block full of (all relevant) "stuff".
How's this for a great photo?
It's my friend Detty - she found this sewing machine when they were on holiday in South Australia. Neat isn't it? Wonder if it works??!!?
Back to the self portrait!
Liz
P.S. Will it have a face? I'm avoiding that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks very much like The Big Rocking Horse at Gumeracha....??

Teddlywinks said...

Yes - that's the place! They had a lot of fun there!