Saturday, March 12, 2011

Dishwashers and The Ladder

Meet Basil Brush!
Apart from my brother Bill, who lives just around the corner from us, we must be the only people I know of who do not have a dishwasher. It's something that we just haven't got around to getting!
My best friend Helen keeps asking Mark, "When is your Mum going to get a dishwasher?!"
I don't miss one, but I have never had one, so I don't know what I'm missing ......
I suppose the only time I think about it is when we have a few here for a meal, and the dishes are mounting up. But we usually do them when everyone has gone, or even the next morning. Although that's not my favourite task when all I want is a strong coffee and a sit in the sun!
Basil Brush is my latest "find". He comes from IKEA (of course!). He sits very nicely suction-cupped to the sink so that all the water drains off him and he stays as fresh as a daisy.
So on Saturday when we made our return trip to get more shelves for the workroom, I bought a couple more. At $1.49 each, Basil had to have a couple of brightly coloured friends!!!!! (They will go in the cupboard until they are needed.)
Some of you already know that I love ladders. This is my latest! It's 4.30m long - that's just over 14 feet. I stripped and stained it last year in readiness for the workroom, and today David got to play in the roof - a job he loves (joking - he HATES it)!!!!!
Apparently my part in the installation of the ladder is of critical importance. It goes something like this.
Check measurements from each wall to centre of ceiling.
Check distance of ladder ends from air-con ducts.
Make sure that David checks for power leads in ceiling.
Marks for hooks in ladder to be evenly spaced apart.
Marks on ceiling to match EXACTLY the hook positions on the ladder (that was a challenge!).
Make sure that David is holding the drill perfectly straight as he drills the holes in the ceiling.
Check that the ceiling hooks are perfectly straight and all facing the same direction.
Check that the ladder hooks are perfectly straight and all facing the same direction.
Check that the chain lengths are all of the same number of links.
The reasoning behind all this is so that it's MY FAULT if something is not quite right!
So David marked and drilled where the hooks go...........screwed in the hooks......
......played monkeys in the roof......
......added some bearers in the ceiling to take the weight and bolted the ceiling hooks in place.
And the sewing goes on regardless......
Liz
P.S. You'll have to wait to see the ladder in place because I wanted black chains to match the hooks, and the paint is still drying.
P.P.S. David is being fantastic with all the fiddly bits before we move all my "stuff" in. His next job is to put up a lovely big notice board for me.

1 comment:

TiramiSue said...

Now don't go filling those rooms up with junk before the carpet gets there!