Sunday, December 19, 2010

Backstitch

Do you have difficulty working your backstitch so that it is even and with smooth curves? This is how I do mine. From the front of your work (see above), put the needle through the hole made by the previous stitch (see below).
Bring the needle back up through the fabric, keeping to the line of the design and having the stitches even lengths.
When working the eyes I use the same technique, but with much smaller stitches. The pen I use to trace the designs is a brown Zig Millennium, with a very fine tip. It's acid free, and permanent (your stitches will cover all the lines) and will not bleed into your fabric. I love this pen!
The extension is coming along nicely now - above with wall still in place, looking towards workroom. The insulation looks like a great big quilt!
Below you are looking from the workroom towards the kitchen.
And here you can see the result with the wall taken out!
Sean visited on Sunday morning and did little two-year old happy dances, and ran around like a mad thing! He couldn't believe all the space!
Then he spent the rest of his visit re-arranging all my bears - a favourite past-time.
Only five sleeps to Christmas!
Liz

2 comments:

BubzRugz said...

Thanks for the backstitch tip - I still don't seem to get the consistency I want - very frustrating but it is good enough to pass. I really love doing it so maybe I will improve with practice.... so good to see your workroom/studio coming along.... what a difference it is going to make..
Hugz

Bearly Sane ® said...

Oh Liz you won't know yourself when it's all finished.....all that wonderful space!
Sorry you won't be joining us at Woodend next year...that was a bit of a shock to hear.
I you both have a wonderful Christmas and we really must get together for lunch in the new year...email me!
Warmest Hugs,
Sandi @ Ess D'Ess Bears and Bearly Sane Studio