Friday, August 27, 2010

Sew Blessed

Today I gave a talk to the Sew Blessed quilting group at the Yarra Valley Vineyard Christian Fellowship in Lilydale - David and I arrived expecting to meet a small group of stitching ladies and you can imagine our surprise - after we had set up and the doors were opened, in they poured! There were over 100 ladies! My apologies for the photos - it was a bit dark, and we watched with interest as the ladies found the tables with the best light, and the shuffling of seats so that they could sit with their friends, and the seats near the coonara fires were much sort after! The photo above is of Melissa (Melissa and her friend Samantha helped me display the quilts - they did a great job!), she has made Birthday Bears and has added her own style - extra applique, and the names of her family that attach to buttons. I love it when extra touches are added - it really makes the quilt a very personal thing.
Here is a shot of the hall and we noticed that everyone made themselves at home - a very comfortable atmosphere. The tables were put to good use - below is a quilt basting effort - much nicer to tackle this task in good company!
I was very interested to see a group of ladies fossicking through the assorted items on this table. We found out that unwanted bits and pieces are brought along and anyone can have a look to see if there is anything that they can use! A great way of recycling and helping out your friends. Fabric, quilting magazines and books about, lemons and shoes were amongst the things I noticed.
Here I am talking to the group - trying very hard to be interesting!
There was a show and tell - I was so impressed with the beautiful quilts - pity the photos are so dark!
The quilt below is Wally's scrap quilt. I have known Wally for about 38 years - I taught her daughter, Julie, in the early 1970's.
Here is another of my designs, At the Bottom of the Garden, that has been converted from an applique into a stitchery by a very clever lady.
The quilt below is called "I still call Australia Home" and was made for this lady's son who lives overseas. Beautiful with the old Queenslander house in the centre.
At the end of the morning, before they left, everyone quietly put their tables and chairs back where they belonged without being asked.
We had a great time - David's comment was "What a lovely bunch of ladies!".
I agree.
Liz

No comments: