Saturday, February 6, 2010

Desk, Ladder and Demolition Begins

It has begun! If you know what it's like to renovate or extend, you'll know what we're in for! But I don't care because the end result will be worth it! David began today - destroyed the door step - what is it about men and their lust for destruction!? He went at it hammer and tongs! The window ledge is also going - that will be an interesting spectacle to observe!
Earlier this morning, he attached the handles and locks to my desk drawers - it has come up beautifully - it is still in the shed surrounded by junk, but I'll post a photo when it is "in situ" in the workroom where you will be able to see it in all it's glory! I had to buy new handles but I bought the same as the original handles to keep that look.
When sanding it down, I found this little stamp - it is an old Public Works Department piece of furniture. Those of you who are my age will remember the P.W.D. - they were responsible for making all the furniture for government departments, and, of course, the Victorian Education Department was one of those.The ladder is another passion of mine - love them! I have seven or eight assorted ladders around the house, some with teddies sitting on them, and one hanging in the kitchen used as a utensil rack. I have just finished stripping and staining the ladder in the photo - it is 4.20 metres long and will eventually hang over my sewing workbench.
Must be coffee time, if I can drag Himself away from his wreckage! (I've made blueberry muffins, so I don't think it will be too difficult!)
Liz
P.S. Window ledge gone! The muffins gave him a boost! Thought he'd better not remove any more of the timbers because they appear to be supporting the window!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Hi Liz
Sorry to change the subject away from your demolition work but was just wondering how and where you got hold of the beautiful new 'Garden Song' fabrics by Nancy Halvorsen? I just think they are lovely and think they may need to be added to my stash!!Thanks Kim :0)

Teddlywinks said...

Hi Kim,
I got the Garden Song fabrics from Patchwork with Gail B.
202 Canterbury Road Bayswater Vic
Ph: 03 97293635
She will take phone orders.
Isn't it gorgeous!
Liz