Sunday, July 27, 2008

Kookaburras

We used to have a kookaburra visit us. We named him Jack, of course! He ate tiny scraps of meat out of our hands, but we think the magpies and other birds chased him away (kookaburras like to eat baby birds). We were even introduced to the family one morning - Mum (or Dad!) and three little ones were sitting on a garden railing patiently waiting for their breakfast!
Lately I have heard the kookaburras laughing - a lovely "Australian" sound - and today a tame one landed on the deck. No meat in the house for him, but he ate a small piece of cheese! He was happy to oblige when I took a photo.
Another sound I love is the warbling song of the magpies.

2 comments:

Kris Meares - Tag Along Teddies said...

Hey LizQ Aren't kookaburras cheerful?! Every time I hear one chortling away, Scott laughs as me because I go rushing outside to see if I can see it!! We had some in our big footpath trees earlier in the year, but I haven't heard them for a while. Mind you, it's been so cold that if they're very clever, they've headed north for the winter - BRRRRR!!! Hope you're keeping well and WARM!! Bear Hugs! KRIS (Tag Along Teddies)

Dorothy said...

Hi Liz,
I just discovered you blog and have enjoyed the photos of your teddybear quilt. Thankyou for sharing them.